"3 Verulam Buildings is first-class."- Chambers & Partners UK Bar (2022)
“The set boasts some of the strongest practitioners in the market.”- Chambers & Partners UK Bar (2022)
Sarah is a commercial barrister with a broad practice across Chambers’ areas of expertise with a particular interest in banking and finance, civil fraud, commercial dispute resolution and IT law. She has been instructed in County Court and High Court matters, and as both a junior and as sole counsel.
Sarah’s background in business means she brings practical business experience and sound commercial sense to her cases. Before joining 3VB Sarah was co-founder and Managing Director of a company supplying management software to the voluntary sector.
Examples of recent matters include:
- Acting for the assignee of the claims of a company in administration for repayment of sums drawn down from the company by a former director (Sole counsel).
- Lynch v Aldermore Bank  EWHC 3050 (Ch). Acting for the Bank in its appeal against the decision of Chief ICC Judge Briggs to overturn a trustee in bankruptcy’s admission of a proof of debt based on a bank guarantee (led by Ian Wilson KC).
- Acting for the defendant Bank in a claim relating to a professional practice loan following the collapse of Halliwells LLP. Claim dismissed, counterclaim allowed, and contractual costs awarded to the bank (Sole counsel).
- Drafting pleadings in various claims for restitution on the grounds of unjust enrichment (Sole counsel).
- Instructed as part of wider legal teams in the early stages of various substantial commercial disputes.
Before taking tenancy, Sarah assisted her supervisors and other members of Chambers as a pupil in matters across 3VB’s practice areas including banking, insurance, fraud, international arbitration, regulatory matters and commercial litigation. Highlights include:
- Covid-19 business interruption insurance test case – Commercial Court  EWHC 2448 (Comm) and Supreme Court (assisting Adam Kramer).
- Acting for a receiving bank in a claim arising out of a push payment fraud (assisting Adam Kramer).
- Etihad Airways PJSC v Air Berlin – Court of Appeal 2020. €2bn airline financing dispute, jurisdiction battle (assisting Adam Kramer).
- LCIA arbitration concerning a privatization in the gambling sector (assisting Judy Fu).
- LCIA arbitration involving the energy sector in Africa (assisting Adam Kramer and Judy Fu).
- Broomhead v National Westminster Bank – acting on behalf of a bank to resist a claim that an earlier judgment dismissing a £17m claim made by a customer was tainted by fraud (assisting Charlotte Eborall).
- Winlink Marketing Ltd v Liverpool Football Club & Athletic Grounds Ltd  EWHC 2271 (Comm) – claim for commission against premiership football club relating to sponsorship deal (assisting William Day and Andrew Sutcliffe QC).
- Lombard North Central plc v European SkyJets Limited and others  EWHC 679 (QB) – appeal in relation to a first instance refusal to set aside a default judgment concerning the validity of a default notice (assisting Charlotte Eborall).
- Part 71 oral examination proceedings and related committal applications in relation to the recovery of a £9.5m judgment debt (assisting Charlotte Eborall).
- ROVOP v Atlantic Marine (2020) – Acting for the manufacturer and supplier of submersible remotely operated vehicles (ROVs) in mandatory injunction proceedings for the delivery up of an ROV and ancillary relief (assisting Philip Hinks).
Sarah was co-founder and managing director of a company providing online management software to the voluntary sector. After her legal training and before commencing pupillage, Sarah spent some time as a law reporter in the Chancery Division team of the Incorporated Council of Law Reporting. She has also been assistant curator in a university zoology museum and during her PhD was a philosophy tutor at the University of Sheffield.