- The Legal 500 UK Bar (2022)An increasing force in POCA work and asset forfeiture.
3VB has significant expertise in financial crime. Members of Chambers have been involved in cutting-edge decisions in this field and are consistently ranked in both Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners.
Members act for law enforcement agencies (NCA, SFO, FCA, HMRC and CPS), government bodies, financial institutions, and private clients in connection with a wide range of financial crime matters including: civil recovery claims, investigative orders, freezing orders, suspicious activity reports, moratorium periods, information sharing, money laundering compliance, and breach of sanctions.
Highlights of 3VB’s recent and ongoing cases include:
- NCA v Hajiyeva  1 WLR 3209 (first ever application for unexplained wealth orders).
- NCA v Hussain  1 WLR 2145 (first application for an unexplained wealth order relying on the serious crime limb).
- NCA v Odewale  1609 (Admin) (civil recovery claim in respect of high value Patek Philippe watches).
- Faerman v Director of the SFO  EWHC 1849 (Admin) (application to discharge a disclosure order).
- CPS v Aquila Advisory Ltd  1 WLR 5666 (Supreme Court decision concerning the scope of POCA and the fraud exception to the attribution of knowledge).
- DPP v Briedis  EWHC 3155 (Admin) (confirming that crypto-assets are property for the purposes of POCA).
- Javadov v Westminster Magistrates’ Court  1 All ER 730 (application of the open justice principle to an investigation into politically exposed persons suspected of receiving monies laundered through the Azerbaijani Laundromat).
- NCA v Petrosaudi Oil Services (Venezuela) Ltd  EWHC 920 (Admin) (prohibition order made against £240 million held in the Court Funds Office pursuant to a request from the US Department of Justice).