Victor has a broad practice covering general commercial litigation and arbitration, with a particular focus on banking and finance, civil fraud, international arbitration and cross-border disputes. He acts as sole counsel in both the High Court and County Courts and as junior counsel as part of larger teams on various complex and high-value matters.
Before joining 3VB, Victor was an associate at Clifford Chance, where he gained experience in banking and finance, corporate law, investment funds and commercial litigation.
He also worked as stagiaire for Advocate General Sharpston at the Court of Justice of the European Union (2014) and as judicial assistant to Lord Justice Tomlinson at the Court of Appeal (2015-2016).
Victor also worked in international arbitration at leading law firms in London and Singapore.
Victor speaks English, French, German, Dutch and Luxembourgish.
He is currently the editor of the section on Brexit of the Encyclopaedia of Banking Law, authored and co-authored several notes on Brexit published as part of 3VB’s Brexit & Financial Services series, and is a contributor to the case analysis section of the Journal of International Banking and Finance Law.
Victor regularly appears in various hearings and trials in the High Court and County Courts, and in relation to applications for permission to appeal to the Court of Appeal in commercial and banking matters.
Current and recent instructions include:
- Whitehall Capital Ltd v Land South East Ltd  EWHC 190 (Ch), successfully acted as sole counsel for an offshore lender in a dispute concerning the financing of a major property development
- Advised a minority shareholder on the distribution of profits under a shareholders’ agreement relating to a Luxembourg joint venture company in respect of a multi-million pound property development
- Gordian Holdings Ltd v Sofroniou  EWHC 235 (Comm), acted for the defendant in multiple applications (including a strike out application, an application to adduce new evidence, and an application to vary an order staying the enforcement proceedings) relating to the enforcement of a Cypriot judgment and a share transfer alleged to constitute a transaction defrauding creditors
- Acted in an international dispute arising out of the acquisition of an aircraft, which also involved jurisdictional challenges and questions of foreign law
- Acted as sole counsel for an international telecommunications company in High Court proceedings arising out of an agreement for the provision of satellite capacity services
Banking and Finance
- Advised on the potential liability of a major private wealth financial institution in relation to investments made on behalf of a customer during the Covid-19 pandemic, including possible claims for breach of contract, negligence, and breach of the Conduct of Business Sourcebook Rules.
- Gordian Holdings Ltd v Sofroniou  EWHC 235 (Comm), acted as sole counsel for the defendant in multiple applications relating to the enforcement of a Cypriot judgment and a share transfer alleged to constitute a transaction defrauding creditors
- Acted successfully for the defendant in a trial concerning a major high street bank’s contractual and tortious duties towards its customer in respect of his investment portfolio following an internal restructuring at the bank
- Advised on one of the UK’s major high street bank’s duties towards customers in relation to sophisticated bank fraud and voice phishing (vishing) scam
- Acting in various County Court retail banking and consumer credit disputes including PPI mis-selling claims and secret commission claims
- Acting for an offshore fund in a conspiracy claim against an investment bank involving the alleged manipulation of the share exchange ratio in the context of a merger between two international steel companies
- Manning & Napier v Tesco plc, acted for the claimants in a claim against Tesco arising from Tesco’s profit overstatements between 2010 and 2014 (led by Peter de Verneuil Smith QC, 3VB)
- Acted for a digital marketing and advertising agency in relation to allegations of fraud against its former accountant and his trustee in bankruptcy
- Acting in a DIFC-LCIA arbitration relating to the construction of a shopping mall in the Middle East (led by Jane Davies Evans, 3VB)
- Viaduct d.o.o. Portorož, Vladimir Zevnik and Boris Goljevšček v. Bosnia and Herzegovina (ICSID Case No. ARB/16/36), acting for the claimant in this ICSID investment treaty arbitration concerning the construction of hydroelectric power plants (led by Christopher Harris QC, 3VB)
- Alexander Nelin v. Republic of Cyprus (ICSID Case No. ARB/18/41), acting for the claimant in this ICSID investment treaty arbitration relating to the loss of deposits following Cyprus’ intervention in a bank (led by Christopher Harris QC, 3VB)
- Acted as junior counsel in an ICC arbitration relating to a wind farm in Jordan (led by Jane Davies Evans, 3VB). Victor cross-examined the respondent’s quantum expert
- Acting as tribunal secretary in an ICSID arbitration
Company & Insolvency Law
Victor acts for administrators, petitioners and respondents in insolvency proceedings, including bankruptcy and winding up petitions, including in seeking injunctive relief to restrain the presentation of petitions.
Current and recent instructions include:
- Advised one of the largest privately owned contractor companies in the UK on an application for injunctive relief in a dispute involving several construction developments
- Acted for the successful claimants in a Part 8 claim seeking an order under s.125 of the Companies Act 2006 to rectify the register of members by reinstating the claimants’ shareholdings in a bio-tech company
- Acted for the successful claimant in an application for injunctive relief refraining the defendant from presenting a winding up petition
- Victor is fluent in English, French, German, Dutch, and Luxembourgish.